January 3, 2012

A Week of Christmas Fun - Day 3 Christmas Day

For as long as I can remember, my family has always celebrated Christmas Eve by eating special finger foods and watching A Christmas Carol. With adding husbands, jobs, and children under the age of four to the mix, our tradition morphed into eating the finger foods and watching Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer on Christmas evening.

Risky business, anyone?
Well, what do you know? Elijah isn't crying when Uncle Ravi is holding him!


What family gathering isn't complete without Tim juggling some toy or another?
My contribution to the snack table was the Snowman Cheeseball which I adapted from Betty Crocker's  website.  I didn't want to follow the recipe because I am slightly scared of pesto since I have never had it before and I couldn't find any while I was grocery shopping at a busy store with two boys the week before Christmas.
Here is my adaptation of the recipe.

  
Snowman Cheeseball
Ingredients
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
2 cups shredded Pepperjack Cheese
1 cup grated Parmesean Cheese
Garlic Powder to taste
Onion Powder to taste
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 container (4 ounces) whipped cream cheese, softened
Snowman Decorations, if desired (I used vegetables that I swiped from the veggie tray)
Assorted crackers, if desired
Directions
  1. Mix 3 packages cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, Pepperjack Cheese, and Parmesean cheese; Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. 
  2.  Cover cheese mixture and refrigerate about 4 hours or until firm enough to shape. Shape each cheese mixture into ball. Wrap each ball, label and freeze.
  3. About 12 hours before serving, remove balls from freezer. Thaw in wrappers in refrigerator.
  4. Arrange balls on serving plate with smaller ball on top for head of snowman. Toothpicks hold the cheeseballs together the best. Frost snowman with whipped cream cheese before serving. Decorate as desired. Serve with crackers. Store covered in refrigerator

The cheeseballs were good, but needed some more kick to it. Maybe I should have actually measured out the spices. If any of you try this out, let me know what you did differently, so that I can find that perfect kick.
The lone snowman watched as his friends were slowly eaten.


No comments: