January 10, 2012

Tummy Rehab - Week 1

Ever since I had Beniah, I have been getting questions asking me when I am due. At first, I was really bothered and even offended by it until I took an honest look at my belly and admitted that yes I still look pregnant. Well to be fair, I look like I have an average pregnant belly. Anybody who has seen the way I carry my babies and compares it to my belly now says, "Wow you are so tiny!"
Three weeks before Elijah was born.
Day one of the Tummy Rehab
 Big difference, but there is still a pooch!

Vanity aside, there are also other problems that I have been experiencing mostly low back pain. Some days it is intense.  I was brushing this off as side effects of having huge babies and carrying so far out, until I read a pamphlet that I picked up at a local pregnancy boutique.  It was information on a medical condition called Diastasis Recti. Basically, it is when your transverse abdomen muscles (your girdle muscles) are weakened (surprise, surprise with how big I carried) and are no longer able to hold your insides in (and everybody say, "Eww!").

I am now starting physical therapy to correct this and have decided to submit my thoughts and struggles or victories of this correction process to all of you who are still reading this.
I guess first things first. Here is my waist measurement (which is a visual indicator as to whether or not this is working for me).


Go ahead ladies, measure your waist and compare our measurements. It should boost your self esteem by a few notches.

I also got measured to see how much of a diastasis I have. The upper portion of my abdomen has a 5.5 finger wide spread, the middle portion (over the belly button) is at 6 fingers wide, and the bottom portion is 5.5 fingers wide. Unfortunately for me, it should take approximately a year to completely close my diastasis.

And now we will see over the next few weeks how much the Tupler Technique works for my tummy.

Here is another link for any of you who are curious about Diastasis.

5 comments:

Kim Shire said...

good for you! I don't think I have one of those diasty things to blame my pooch on :) But maybe I'll take inspiration from you and work on decreasing my mid section too!

OnlyByHisGrace said...

I have never heard of that Heather. I am cheering you on though. :) And your waist measurement does nothing for me. :( Mine is QUITE higher. I don't think I have any condition though...pretty sure I am just fat. I am beginning to wonder though if I should focus less on it...pray for me and I will pray for you, that God would give us wisdom and help in these tummy issues. Love you, my friend, just the way you are! :) Linda

Beth Twist said...

I'm so excited for you! Not that you have a pregnancy-induced injury, mind you, but that you have found someone who can help get it fixed. Go Heather!

Charissa said...

I didn't know you when you were pregnant but you sure grow some big boys! How neat that you found some information on this. Now that I know we live relatively close to one another too, maybe we can go on some walks together when the weather warms up.

Christi said...

Thank you, Heather, for being brave enough to share this journey. I'm so excited to see what changes you will be able to make.