The Ipad was the hit of the night.
I was so proud of how well Beniah climbed the ladder to get onto the loft, but was also a little bit sad on how quickly he is growing up.
Elijah was his sweet self and was doted on and cooed over well enough to make this Mama's heart swell a little. I can't help but be happy when people tell me that my children are beautiful.
As with every Thanksgiving, there is a lot of food! This year, I was designated to bring the sweet potatoes for thirty people. After scouring my favorite food website, I found a recipe that was divine! Unfortunately, when I had the website switch the number of servings from 12 to 30, it failed to mention that one serving was for a lumberjack who had just worked a 14 hour shift and had only eaten top ramen for the past 3 days. I ended up with two 9x13 pans and four 8x8 pans worth of sweet potatoes. Thankfully, everybody enjoyed it and is (at least I am ) excited for the leftovers.
Cinnamon Apple Sweet Potato
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 3 yams
- 6 large apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 bag cranberries (around 1 to 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup white sugar *Note: I am going to try cutting down the sugar by a 1/4 cup next time to see if it comes out a little less sweet.
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes, yams, and apples into chunks. Mix the sweet potatoes, yams, cranberries, and apples into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Meanwhile, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan. Stir in the water and butter and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook and stir until thickened and no longer cloudy, 5 to 10 minutes. It will turn into what I imagine a gelatinous blob looks like before it attacks you, but don't worry it won't. Pour over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the apples are very tender and the sweet potatoes are golden on top, about 1 hour.
My next holidayish baking will be individual pecan pies. I had a piece of pecan pie for dessert and am now all about pecan pie.