March 14, 2010

Pi Day!

For most people, today is like any other day (other than having the time change), but to us math nerds (or those married to them) this day is something special. Today is Pi day. For those of you who don't know Pi's number is 3.14. To celebrate, I decided to make a Chocolate Mint Cream Pie. It was delicious. In spirit of this wondrous occasion, I am giving you all the recipe. I do have to admit that I received the original recipe from my sister in law and I just added the mint dark chocolate.



Chocolate Mint Cream Pie

1 Baked and Cooled 9" Pie Crust
3/4 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Flour
1/4 tsp Salt
2 cups Whole Milk
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1 Tbsp Butter
1 bar Mint Dark Chocolate, chopped into pieces
Whipped Cream for garnish
Chocolate shavings for garnish

In medium saucepan mix sugar, flour, and salt. Stir in 1 cup milk and mix until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir until smooth and thickened, about 2 minutes, then remove from heat.

Beat eggs with the remaining milk. Temper the egg mixture with a small amount of the slightly cooled milk mixture, then blend this into the larger saucepan with the cooling milk mixture.

Return saucepan to the heat and bring to a boil again, stirring constantly. Lower heat and simmer until mixture thickens a bit more, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Once thoroughly mixed stir in mint dark chocolate pieces. Stir until chocolate is melted and mixed throughout. Top with whipped topping.

Happy Pi day!

3 comments:

Marie said...

...and it was yummy! I'm glad we got to help in the celebration and have a piece of the pi!!

Kristin said...

Wow! I'm not a math nerd (though I wish I were more of one!) but if it means pies like that, I'll celebrate Pi day once a month! : ) Your recipe looks delicious.

http://excerpts-kristin.blogspot.com/

Louis said...

Wow I never thought of that there is really a Pi Day. People probably don't have any idea what is Pi day but I guess without Pi day so many calculations wont be possible. Happy Pi day to you guys!