March 14, 2012

Pi Day!

   Happy Pi Day! This is the day that math nerds unite and celebrate the irrational number, pi. 

 

To commemorate this special day, I usually bake a pie. After much debate, I decided that not only will I celebrate the number pi, I will also give a shameless plug to my Aunt Nancy's book, More Than The Meal.  
  (Being sold for only $10. Please make your checks or money orders to Nancy Luse.)


Here is a pie recipe directly from my aunt's amazing book.

Lori's Peanut butter Pie

1 baked 9" Pie Shell
1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Peanut butter
3/4 cup sifted confectionery sugar

Blend sugar and peanut butter until mealy. Sprinkle in shell.

Filling:

1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups scalded milk
3 slightly beaten egg yolks
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, and salt in a double boiler or heavy saucepan. Stir in milk and cook, stirring until thick. Pour some of the mixture into the yolks to temper them so they don't turn to scrambled eggs. Pour into the rest of the mixture in the pan, cooking for several minutes. Add butter and vanilla. Pour into shell. Chill. 

Whipped Topping:
1/2 pint Heavy whipping cream


Whip heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form.  Mound over the top of the pie. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup peanuts and drizzle chocolate sauce to your liking.

Since my mother in law and I are both Chocolate Peanut butter addicts fans, I raided her cupboards and pulled out her chocolate chips and mixed them with the peanut butter on the bottom of the pie shell. I also warmed up some peanut butter to drizzle over the whipped topping and then sprinkled mini chocolate chips on the top.



Have a wonderful Pi day! May all your math equations be answered quickly and correctly (and my aunt's book sales soar)!

2 comments:

Marie said...

I love your post! What a fun video demonstrating PI!! (and I'm looking forward to a piece of the PIE!)

Charissa said...

Happy pi day! Your pie looks delicious. Fun that your aunt has a book. Beware the ides of March tomorrow! :-) (another nerdy march holiday).