January 24, 2012

Pacifier Patch

Checkstand 18 at our local Walmart is the place to buy cigarettes and other nicotine products (not that I buy any, but it's kind of hard not to notice the huge case behind the checker). One of the products is the nicotine patch which got me thinking about addictions and weaning oneself away from harmful chemicals that also smell and taste bad (again, I haven't actually kissed a smoker but I hear it's gross). I've been wondering what kind of market there is for pacifier patches. We've started to wean Elijah from his pacifier and it is more difficult than I imagined it would be. He now gets to have it when he is napping or asleep for the night. However, Elijah is a little sneak. Yesterday, our niece and nephews were over and Elijah dug through Samwise's carseat to find his pacifier.  I was in the other room and heard vigorous sucking sounds. When I went to checkout the noise, I saw Elijah sucking as hard as he could on the pacifier. I could almost hear him say, "Oh how I've missed you! Oh no Mama's here! Don't go! Don't go!"

I think that an intervention just might need to be in store for us.

1 comment:

Marie said...

My mom used to say that she would rather her kids used a pacifier than suck their fingers or thumbs because you could eventually throw the pacifier away, but not that finger. I'm not sure if that is good logic or not, but I do know breaking thumb sucking is extremely difficult. Good luck with weaning Elijah off the big blue plug!