June 18, 2014

Spelunking with Babies

  For the past couple of months, Tim and I have been attempting to spend one weekend a month having an "adventure" with our boys. This month, we decided to drive up towards Mt. St. Helens and go explore Ape Caves. Beniah and Elijah were super excited about this adventure and asked questions for days before our trip. (Yay repetitive questions!) Beniah asked if we could invite Grandpa and Grandma along (who were more than happy to accommodate their grandsons request). This past Saturday, we picked up Grandpa and Grandma and rode rather snugly up to Ape Caves.


Isaac and I don't get to look at each other during car rides, 
so this was a fun experience for both of us. 

 "Will somebody talk to me?" Elijah asked at one point during the trip.

 Beniah saw this view on the way up and begged me to take a picture of it for him.


 Flashlights at the ready for Ape Caves!



I had thought that having Isaac strapped to me would make him comfortable to walk (or rather ride) into the dark cave. He could feel my hand on him, my voice in his ear, and see the light from my flashlight bouncing off the cave walls, but alas, he became more and more agitated so that by the time we were 1/3 of the way through, he was full blown wailing. I decided to turn around and let Tim, the boys, and the grandparents finish the exploration of the cave while I took the wailing baby out to the sunlight (fyi - the tears did stop once we were outside of the cave).
About 30 minutes later, we were all back together again. The boys were thoroughly impressed with how dark the cave was and were ready for lunch.

 The car ride home was with a much more subdued and tired crowd.

Adventure complete. Mission accomplished!

1 comment:

Marie said...

It was lots of fun! Thanks for letting us go along.