April 3, 2014

Watching the Rain

This past weekend was predicted to be rainy, so I decided to finally make the weather chart that I had been eyeballing on Pinterest and talk with the boys about rain and other Pacific Northwest weather.



They love the chart and have come up to me and said, "Mama, I think the weather is somewhere between cold and burning hot!"  Yeah, an outside thermometer is next on my Home Depot shopping list.



Since the weather app on my tablet said that we should expect 1"-4" of rain over the weekend, I made our own rain gauge using one of my canning jars, a permanent marker, and a ruler.  The boys were so excited to watch the jar slowly fill up with rain.

Monday morning, I brought in the jar to see how much rain we collected.


We collected 1 1/2" of rain over the weekend. Beniah begged me to put the jar back outside so we can collect more rain. I'm thinking a rain gauge is going to become a permanent fixture in our garden.

No comments: